Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Twicon...day 1

Friday: This is the day I was most excited for. Peter Facinelli (Dr. Carlisle Cullen himself) was coming and I was a little beside myself about it.

We got to the hotel around 11 that morning and we parked at the mall next door. Yay for free parking! We registered and entered the vendors room. I gotta say, I was a little undewhelmed. There were mostly T-shirts you could find most anywhere. Water bottles with the Cullen crest, Scene It! Twilight version, and posters I already owned were everywhere. There was a table with colored contacts that I saw 0 people approach all 3 days. There were two tables with Twilight themed jewelry. The best one (IMHO) was run by an awesome red-haired TwiMom who looked to be about my age. I bought this cute cupcake charm from her table.



She said that she hadn't read CW&IA and she made the cupcake charm simply because she liked cupcakes. I bought it, well, because I love cupcakes too. But I love cupcakes because of CW&IA, so yea....I love it because only I (and a few other Twi crazies) know what it means. It doesn't scream Team Edward or Team Jacob. And I like that. She was also selling cute necklaces with pages of the Twi books cut out and lacquered onto bottle caps. My favorite thing she was selling were pictures she had taken in Forks that were framed in silver frames and attached to actual forks. There was a B&W pic of First Beach  with an apple sitting on the sand that was in color. It was beautiful. The ocean was sort of out of focus and the apple was so vibrantly red. I didn't buy it though. I was trying to contain myself. I wonder if I could find her stuff on etsy...

The other tables were selling out of print soundtracks, Alice and Wonderland posters/Harry Potter posters/Twi posters, and pics of the cast.

The Hillywood show also had a table.


Oh, about Hillywood. I gotta say I wasn't a fan...at first. I went in assuming, well, I'm not sure exactly. I guess I am a bit sensitive about people poking fun at something I hold so near and dear to my heart. But, when you see them in person, you can really see that they are fans too. And I'm ok with it now. Plus, they are just plain funny and really nice. They made great hosts for the weekend. And it's obvious that they work really hard. If they didn't love Twilight, then would just be silly of them, now wouldn't it? Oh.....and fake Jacob, you kinda make me wanna switch teams. HOTNESS.

After ogling the goodies at the TwiMom's table, we went in and were introduced to the weekend by the Hillywood show. They screened their New Moon parody (which I hadn't seen). I loved it! It realllllly made me want March 20th to come even faster.

Next, the Twilight Lexicon had a little panel. I was excited because this was one of the first Twi websites I started regularly visiting. Lori Joffs was there and she showed us a video driving tour of Forks, which was so awesome. I have to go there this summer!
And because the Lexicon is so awesome they gave everyone in the audience this cute FREE bag. Or a "swag bag" as the roomie likes to call it.
Next was a Twilight trivia contest. I decided to participate and was pwned. On the second, yes the SECOND question I was out! I can no longer call myself a fan....(NOT). I was nervous, okay??

Then we got to see on-screen interviews with Kristen, Rob, Dakota, and the Wolfpack. Pretty cool.
Then it was time for the man. Mr. PFACH!! I'm sorry that I suck at taking pictures, but I just do. I'm showing ya the best I got:

Peter was so incredibly nice and funny. In fact, I can go ahead and say that about all of the cast that appeared. Everyone was completely amazing. So humble and kind and welcoming to their fans. The sets for these movies must have been a blast to work on. All of the ones that we met were so warm and funny. No ego in any of them.


P. answered all of our questions thouroughly and with a great sense of humor. (Even the really stupid ones you know he gets ALL of the time). But, I can't complain cuz I didn't ask any questions. I can never think of anything original enough to ask. My fave question (that was asked of all of the cast members) was "Who would win in a fight, you or Rob? Of course P. said himself. As did every other cast member who was asked. Even Tinsel. Hilarious!

After Peter, they screened the first half of Twilight (which was more like the first 30 min. but w/e). Then it was time for autographs. When I got up to Peter, he was talking to a fan about how he should speak Italian in Breaking Dawn. And he said "It would be hot, right?" Melt. I wanted to say "Yeah, so there's this fanfic where you are totally in the mob. And you speak Italian, like, all the time. And it IS hot." But I didn't. Thank God. When he signed my book he commented on my name. "Frances. I had a crush on a girl named Frances in middle school, but I was too shy to tell her." And I said "Oh." I'm a bafoon. And I like to make people feel awkward apparently. He continued, "It's an unusual name." Me-"It's my grandmother's." Yeah. I shouldn't be allowed to talk to celebrities. I then thanked him and he smiled his beautiful smile and I floated away....

As we were leaving the hotel to break for dinner I tried not to squeeeeeeee out loud. We walked next door to this place called Dantanna's. We both ordered burgers and fries, which were yummy, but we didn't really enjoy the dinner. I think we were so tired and the atmosphere just wasn't up to par.

After that we went to karaoke. Peter was the host for the first part. People were horrendous, as expected. During the performances, Peter decided to come sit out amongst the audience. He would move each time a new song started.

Next thing you know, this happens:

.
Yes, they are blurry. I told you I suck at photography. Especially when it is most important for me to be an Annie Leibovitz. But, you get the drift. PETER FACINELLI SAT DOWN NEXT TO MY FRIEND!!! It was pretty much awesome. He leaned up against her and was dancing during the song. She played it very cool. She impressed me. Bitch.

After 3 songs, Peter had to catch a plane. But, our night wasn't over. Mr. Mike Welch came out and performed for us. I have to say, he is WAY more attractive in real life. Beautiful, dark hair and clear blue eyes. He was really tan too. And soooo funny. Really hyper. A cross between Jim Carey (who he mentioned is one of his favorite comedians) and Robin Williams. Here's a blurry pic for ya:                               
Bless the man. He stayed so late during karaoke. We left after 3 hours and it had started to get reaaaaallllly boring. This same group of 12 year olds wanted to perform Kesha's 'Tick Tock' over and over and over. Bleh. And, no, we didn't perform. Sarah almost got me to do it. There were actually 2 people left ahead of us to perform when we left. But, the crowd had been lost at that point. And who wants to perform to an annoyed crowd?

And that's pretty much how the night ended. Now, I am going to do something that very much hurts my ego. I am going to allow Mox to tell her side of the weekend. Mark this. I don't like sharing my blog. She is mine. You might even say she's "Like a drug to me. My own personal brand of heroin." :) Anyway, I thought it would be cool to let you hear someone else's side of the weekend. And, I promise, the next two days will be shorter posts. Sorry this got so long. I am chatty.

And, without further ado, here's the Mox:

The first day of Twicon didn’t start off well. I was exhausted from school and lack of sleep. There was difficulty finding a parking spot (there are always issues with parking when we go out). Then there was a bit of confusion and a lot of attitude from the staff when we were registering, which included a mini panic attack because they couldn’t find our tickets. It turned out we already had our tickets and had them out right in front of the people but they weren’t paying attention. Of course, they acted like we were the ones who made a mistake.

Fortunately everything turned around once the convention officially began. First up was the Hillywood Show. I had been worried that it was going to be ridiculously corny. It turned out to be just silly enough. Plus I had to respect all the time, energy, and money that goes into their parodies. The girls who played Bella and Alice were super adorable and tiny. I’ll let Frankie F tell you about the guy who played Jacob since she really seemed to enjoy him. (Me -Yeah, she calls me Frankie F. Be jealous. Anyway, fake Jacob was super hot. If Catherine Hardwicke had cast the guys from the Hillywood show as Jacob and Edward, I would most definitely be Team Jacob).

Oh, I forgot the mention that our seats were f-ing awesome. We sat in the second row from the front near the middle of the row, giving us a perfect view of the stage. I will forever be grateful we sat there after what happened to me during the Karaoke contest but I’m jumping ahead of myself.

Next came Lori Joffs from the Twilight Lexicon who told us about the real Forks. Thanks to her, I am dying to take a trip to Forks. I want to stay on the Res but I don’t think Frankie F is feeling it. (Me - too expensive. I love the Native Americans. Don't get it flipped.) Lori also gave out canvas bags to the whole audience that have “Forks, WA: New York has the Statue of Liberty. Paris has the Eiffel Tower. London has Big Ben. We have Edward Cullen. Any more questions?” written on the front. Frankie F and I like to think of them as our swag bags. (Me - That's more like Mox likes to call them our swag bags. Whatev.)

I guess now would be a good time to mention that Edward Cullen and his boyfriend were in attendance. Yes, ladies, Edward is gay. I’m sorry but think about it, could a guy that perfect possibly be straight? Lori Joffs spotted him from the stage. We turned to look at him, when she pointed him out in the audience. Even though he sat several rows behinds us, it was ridiculously easy to pick out his perfectly chiseled face in the sea of mortals surrounding him. He went up to the stage to get a swag bag with everyone else and Frankie F asked for a picture with him. I took the picture while they posed. I was close enough to see his sparkles. He was tall and lean in his black suit. Frankie F told me he actually felt cold.
Of course from that moment on, we took note of Edward’s location the rest of the weekend and we noticed the guy with him. Call it hope or delusion but we originally thought the guy was just his wingman. I mean, where else is a guy 100% guaranteed to get laid than Edward Cullen at a Twilight convention? We learned we were wrong Saturday night at the Vampire Ball. A slightly intoxicated Frankie F called the guy over and asked if he was Edward’s wingman. He said “Wingman? No. I’m his boyfriend.” It was a harsh crash with reality for Frankie F & me but they were both such delicious eye candy that we couldn’t stay upset for long.
Meeting Edward and his boyfriend turned out to be one of my favorite things about the weekend. They’ve inspired me to write a one shot fanfic involving a gay Edward Cullen showing up at Twicon and the mischief that ensues.

And that's all folks. See you at day 2.

1 comment: