Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Here it is my friends

I'm gonna keep it short and sweet. I would be willing to best most of you have already seen the movie and if you haven't...go now.

First, I gotta start by saying I'm tired of all the hatin' on Twilight. New Moon was phenomenal. Fantastic. Freakin' genius. But, so was Twilight. Now everybody is beating up Catherine Hardwicke and the first flick and it's pissing me off. The first movie started it all for me. If it weren't for Twilight, I never would have read the books and discovered the series. I saw Twilight in theatres 6 times. And loved it more every time. I think Catherine did an amazing job and I really don't understand why everyone hates it so much. We all watch it ad nauseum on DVD, don't we? Stop the hate.

With that being said, I don't think that New Moon was soooo much better than Twilight. I'm not even sure they are equally as good. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED New Moon, but I have a special place for Twilight in my heart.

Big thoughts on the movie:
-HATED the contacts the vamps wore. And the makeup. Their eyes looked irritated and they were too pasty in this film. They looked too obviously vampire. The subtlety of the makeup in Twilight was where it's at. The vamps are supposed to be otherworldly, but not overtly unnatural looking. Oh, and I hated Jasper's wig. And the weird look he gives Bella at the beginning of the movie when he uses his mind control action. Constipation much?
-The scene where Edward and Bella kiss (when she does the weird eyebrow raise thing? Loves you Kristen) is hotness times 10.
-The Volturi/reunion scene=full on WIN (I was bugged by the fight, tho. So didn't happen in the book - I tried not to do this too much, but I couldn't help but be bugged by some of the innaccuracies. Esp. when Edward calls and Jake answers and says "He's planning a funeral." He was totes supposed to think it was Carlisle.)
-Kristen Stewart is so amazing. I am in love.
-The scene where Edward walks toward the screen in slow motion=drool.
-Taylor Lautner blew me OUT of the freakin' water. I was so impressed. I never really took him seriously until now. How stupid I was.
-How funny is Mike Newton?
-I loved Edward quoting Romeo and Juliet. thud.
-And the whole "Can you forgive me?" stuff. Crikey.
-Dramatic ending: "Marry me, Bella." OMG.

Bottom line: Fuckin' great.

I think I have a hard time saying I liked New Moon better than Twilight cuz when I saw Twilight I knew nothing of the series and it really opened me up to a whole new world. And I am so grateful for that. I would give anything to be able to go back to that time. As my roommate put it (about the scene when Edward discovers Bella is "dead" and crushes his cell phone in distress): "What about the people who hadn't read New Moon? Can you imagine seeing that for the first time?" Can you imagine indeed? And what about the ending? If you haven't read the series at this point, you gotta be scrambling to see what happens in Eclipse, right?

New Moon count: Twice. Plans for the mom and me on Friday. I am so gonna break the Twi record.

"Kiss me."

3 comments:

  1. I agree with sooo many of your points. I also get pissed when ppl start beating up on Catherine. No, she's not perfect & yes, she sometimes can run her mouth or speak out of line. But, and this is a HUGE but, if not for Catherine, we probably wouldn't have had Rob in the movie at all. She was the one who wouldn't be satisfied with mediocre & kept searching & searching until she found the PERFECT Edward. Thank God for Catherine Hardwick! (Totally not forgetting Kristen's part in his selection either!...Smart girl there!) Twilight wasn't perfect either but I love it & always will. I've seen it UNTOLD times, lost count a long time ago. I thought the contacts were overkill too. Like you said they looked too obvious in this one. Jasper's wig was a joke, very distracting to me. "Constipation much?" lmfao...!! I also agree about Taylor, was he great or what???!! Wow, that's all I can say. I loved the humor in this one, especially from Edward. The "You can't trust vampires....Trust me!" cracked me up. Emmett's comment about dating an older woman, and lots more that were really funny & needed I think in this one. I've been twice & am planning on going again (as soon as I can afford it!! I'm going New Moon broke!) Loved your review, sorry for going on & on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me if I were going to point out things that I disliked with New Moon, I’d have to say 1) The Cullens clothing. WTF is Alice wearing half the time? Edward! How old are you supposed to act like?
    2) The contacts too killed me. They seemed a little weird.
    3) I didn’t cry at all. No emotion. Just blown away by the action, but seriously no tears. I thought I would but I didn’t.

    Um, also I agree with you on Twilight. I’ll admit, the acting is totes better in New Moon. You have to at least point that out but Twilight is so indie that it too will always have a place in my heart. I saw Twilight before reading the books.

    Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete