Saturday, September 12, 2009

My thoughts on The Vampire Diaries

I don't think I was the only Twi fan that watched this show Thursday night. I am obsessed with all things vampire...as we all know. And I was both vaguely annoyed and really excited to see how much this show/book series had in common with Twilight. I don't know which series was published first...hold on, let me "wiki that shit" (WA anyone?)...okay so The Awakening (the first book in the series) was published in 1991 WAY before Steph's books. So, the comparisons have to be made.

In the books, Elena is a blonde, popular girl who all the guys want and all the girls wanna be. That annoys me to begin with. Now, let me say, I am only on chapter 2 of The Awakening so I don't know a whole lot about this shiz yet, but who the hell wants to read about a beautiful, popular girl who has a beautiful, otherworldly guy lusting after them? How is that fair? That's what happens in real life. If I wanted to see that shit, I could look out my effing window. I wanna read about the socially awkward, unconventionally attractive, unpopular girl who has a total fucking hottie vampire wanting her blood/body. (Which is reason number 1 why Twilight is way superior to The Vampire Diaries in my eyes.)

So when the books were translated into a show, I was more than a little miffed to find that the heroine is now a brunette. And come on, what's with Stefan and the Ray Bans? Really? Do you think you are fooling us, CW? Oh!!! OHHHH!! And the part when Vicki is the victim of an ANIMAL ATTACK?!?! I laughed out fucking loud on that one! HAHAHA!

And as I'm reading The Awakening, I come across this fucking line: "The sleek black 911 Turbo purred through the parking lot..." And I made that part yellow on purpose. I MEAN COME ON!!!

And rationally, I know that if anyone has ripped anyone off here, it's Stephenie Meyer since L.J. Smith's book was published well over a decade  before Steph's. But, I just cannot be mad at Mrs. Meyer. I will always take her side. No matter how many times she is accused of plagiarism...which has been a lot lately.

I honestly don't believe that Stephanie plagiarized anything. But, it is really unusual how a lot of these vampire stories have overlapping shiz. The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (aka the books that True Blood is based off of) has alot in common with both of these series' as well. I think the order of these three authors' series are as follows: L.J. Smith's The Vampire Diaries, Charlaine Harris' The Southern Vampire Mysteries, and of course Stephanie Meyer's Twilight saga.

Anywho, I guess there is no one to blame here, considering I really liked the show. But, if I was L.J. Smith I would probably be a little pissed that Steph's work blew up in the past year...before mine had a chance to hit it big. And to the uninformed it would look like L.J. is the copycat. There are plenty of squeeing fangirls to share, I guess since this whole vampire thing is exploding right now. Which is a whole other topic to explore. (I have been a vamp fan since the wee days of Buffy, BTW. *puffs up chest*)

My thoughts on the show? Yeah, that's why we're here, isn't it? Sorry, I get up on a soapbox and it can be hard to knock me off. Yeah. I wasn't wowed. But I wasn't really disappointed, either. I think a good foundation was laid out for a potentially awesome show rife with sexy times and thrilling cliff hangers. I am going to like the whole brother vs. brother for Elena thing. Really sexy. Not sure how I feel about Elena's bff Bonnie. She's a little retarded acting if you ask me. And there was some cheesy, stereotypical teenage behavior shit going on that annoyed me. The cast is most def. good looking, to say the least. Elena is gorg, of course. And Stefan is a major effin hottie. Damon is ehhh. His whole evil thing is kinda hot. But, you know who I think is hot and is not going to get enough credit for it? Elena's little brother. Maybe I like him cuz I tend to have a thing for damaged, dark haired boys who wear black nail polish. For so long, I denied my love of the emo boys. I used to really loathe them. Then one day I woke up and realized that nothing is more attractive than an unwashed, black nail polish wearing, girl jean clad emo boy. Srsly.
The end.
Update: Holy shit! So, I was looking up the guy who plays Stefan cuz I knew he was a familiar face. And he totes played Tommy Callahan on Everwood. You know, the drug-dealer boyfriend Amy gets sidetracked by? You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you? It's okay. I'm a WB nerd.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your review on VD. I was way too critical but that's because I didn't know the background on the books. I'm actually excited to watch tonight because I'm gonna try to go in with open eyes. It's really hard when I have my twilight blinders on and there's a stupid black crow and fog everywhere. Ok, I promise to be nice.

    ReplyDelete