Friday, June 12, 2009

THE concert of my fucking life

Friday, June 5, 2009 - The most EPIC day ever. I got to see No Doubt perform for the first (and most def. not the last) time. Words cannot describe their fucking awesomeness. In order for you to understand my love, I will give a little background. I remember being as young as 10 years old singing Don't Speak to my little brother on the swing in my backyard. He laughed at the parts where I sang "Hush, hush darlin'." He thought I made the song up. At that point, I had no idea who No Doubt was. I had only heard the song on the radio and liked it.

My next memory of No Doubt was when my mom's best friend came to visit. She brought her daughter. Here daughter sat on our couch the entire time with her headphones plugged in and she was holding a CD case in her hands. And on that CD case was a beautiful blonde wearing a red plastic-y dress. And I remember thinking "She is beautiful." and "This girl on my couch is cool." Well, at least her taste in music was. Thanks Melissa! At this point, I still knew nothing about No Doubt.

Flash forward to the year 2000. Return of Saturn has just been released. I'm in the 8th grade. I see the video for Ex-Girlfriend and I think this pink-haired girl is my hero. The most badass chick I have ever seen. I buy the CD - and voila! It's love. I begin to research No Doubt from here. And discover THE BEST FUCKING ALBUM EVER FUCKING MADE - Tragic Kingdom. I see the CD cover and have an epiphany. This is the CD Melissa was listening to on the couch in my living room those few years ago. She is a fucking genius! Tragic Kingdom is the CD that changed my life. No Doubt gave me taste in music. I can sing every word of every song on that CD to you right now. No prompts. Of course I love the others - self-titled, Beacon Street, Return of Saturn, Rock Steady, but Tragic Kingdom is so the soundtrack of my life. It is my teen years in a nutshell. I listened to that CD over and over. I'm on my second copy. I cried over my first break-up at 15 while listening to Don't Speak. I wanted to be Gwen. My second break-up, I was wise enough to be pissed and Sunday Morning was my song of choice. "Sappy, pathetic little me. that was the girl I used to be. You had me on my knees...I thought I knew you well, so well...You want me badly because you cannot have me." Classic. Anyway, I think I've gushed enough. Just know, I have loved these guys for 10 years of my life. I'm only 23, so that's a long time to love something.

Bottom line - No Doubt is and always will be my favorite band. So when I heard they were performing songs from all the old albums, I knew I had to be there. I never thought I'd get this chance. Then I heard Paramore was opening and I damn near died. Paramore has become a new fave as of late. EPICNESS.

So, Friday we go and Paramore fucking rocked of course. The Sounds were before them and they were pretty sweet too. The only song I knew, though, was Ego. Paramore played Pressure, Decode, Let the Flames Begin, Decoy, and another new one. Some others, too. Just can't remember them all. I was so fecking excited. As good as Paramore was, the real show was No Doubt. When No Doubt came on, the adrenaline just broke from the dam.


They opened with Spiderwebs. Freaking great. I tried to get at least 30 seconds of each song. I know I missed a few cuz I was really just caught up in the moment. No, the video is not the best because A) I was dancing like a fool and B)I'm a retarded camera operator. Most of the good pics are from my bestie Laura. She is way better than me. And she was way more composed. I danced my little white ass off. And now I will commence with the pics and video. Thanks for being gracious enough to hear my little story. I love you No Doubt! Marry me Tony.

And without further adieu:

Paramore opened!


And No Doubt brought down the house!














Yes, they performed Just A Girl, but I'm afraid I was too busy jumping up and down/screaming/hyperventilating to film it. And there you have it folks. The best concert EVER. I'll post pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment