Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sharing the wealth

So, I finally decided to ask my mom to read Twilight. I think I have withheld it from her for so long because I wasn't sure if I wanted to share something that was so close and special to me with anyone else. Selfish of me, I know. How dare I deprive anyone of the wonder of Edward Cullen. It's hard for me to explain why I haven't ask her to read it until now. I guess if I think that if I don't share the things that are special to me that they will remain slightly more mine. I will have some kind of ownership. I told you it was hard to explain. Anywho, she has been saying that she wanted to read the series, so tonight I brought her the book and told her once she started, she wouldn't be able to stop. That the pages were laced with crack and she said "I'm not sure if I will have time to read all of them." I proceeded to say "There is abso-friggin-lutely no way you can read the first one and not want to finish the other 3." She said she wasn't starting the book tonight, but I know that once she does - that all will be lost.

Part of me is a little apprehensive to have her read it. I'm afraid she will think "Wow. My daughter is juvenile." Or she'll think that I'm a complete weirdo. But, she's my mom so she'll love me no matter what. It's just like when you try discussing Twilight with the real weirdos (the non-Twilight fans or those completely unaffected or oblivious to the series) and they look at you like "Oh. You're one of those Twilight people." You're almost slightly embarassed to admit you've read the series to people who don't get it. Then you get all defensive when they make fun of you. Oh the dilemma of being a Twilight fan. We lovingly mock the series and make funny spoof videos and blogs completely dedicated to making fun of Twilight fans and ourselves, yet we let NO ONE outside of our little circle make fun of us. It's like when you can say bad things about your family members when no one else can.

Anywho, I can't wait to find out what my mom thinks. And if she's anything like her daughter, she will fall embarassingly in love with a fictional character.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment