Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Adventureland

I saw Adventureland today and I must say I am mighty impressed with Ms. Stewart. My (totally-hetero) girl crush is growing. She is completely fantastic in the movie. It turned out to be way more heart-felt than I expected. From the trailers, it looked like it was going to be just another raunchy Apatow-esque comedy. It had so much more depth than that.

The movie is about a recent college grad (Jesse Eisenberg) who, due to circumstances beyond his control, has to take a summer job at a local amusement park. He falls in love with another employee of the park, Em (Kristen Stewart). Thoughout the movie he makes friends with a pretty funny group of characters and really gets to know Em. Hearts are broken, but all is well in the end.

I was really surprised by Ryan Reynolds' performance here. I am so used to seeing him play the funny guy and I don't think he had one funny line in the movie. He plays the park's unhappily married maintenance man. His character actually comes off as kind of pathetic and you feel pretty sorry for him in the end.

Anywho, what appealed to me so much about this movie is how it kind of parallels my life. Yeah, I know all I do is bitch and moan about my current status, but you can skip this part if you want. I am that recent college grad who has a job "here basically because my life fucking sucks." I am just as desperate to find a connection with someone as the main character Brennan. There is no way to describe to someone what it feels like to really have no fucking place or direction. Just like Brennan, I have no fucking clue what comes next in my life. I know what I want, but will I ever find my metaphorical New York City? (Which just so happens to be LA. Haha) Anyway, I could blab on about feeling unfulfilled and lonely and shit, but then this blog will get all pathetic and I don't want to be like Connell. Go see the movie and you'll understand what the fuck I mean.

Sorry for all the expletives in this one, but I'm feeling particularly dark right now. Plus, I think I'm reading way too much Wide Awake. haha.

Go see the movie. You won't regret it. This one is now in my top 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment